The Fuel and the Flame – ORIGINAL 2003
Global Ambassador, Center for Mission Mobilization, Fayetteville, AR
Published by CMM Press
The Fuel and the Flame: 10 Keys to ignite your college campus for Jesus Christ (original 2003 edition)
Go to the New and completely revised edition, published 2020
“If we can win the university today, we will win the world tomorrow.” – Bill Bright, founder of Cru. The Fuel and The Flame offers church and campus based college students, ministry staff and volunteers ten keys to impact students’ lives for Christ. Five keys to personal preparation (the fuel) and five keys to ministry implementation (the flame) are defined and expanded on in order to develop students into the future Christian leaders of our world. Through the application of the principles found in this book, students will become reproducing disciples for Jesus Christ, able to impact campuses as well as the world with the Good News.
Original edition published in 2003
Written in 2003 by Steve Shadrach, the original version of The Fuel and the Flame was produced to benefit college students and ministry staff. In writing the book, Steve drew from his time in college, having been involved with Cru, The Navigators, Kanakuk Kamps, and his church. Spending the next 20 years on staff with his church as the college pastor and launching and developing the Student Mobilization campus ministry also provided valuable experience and insight to write the book. God has used it with church based and campus based collegiate ministries all over the U.S. and in numerous other countries and languages.
Completely revised edition, published in 2020.
Steve Shadrach turned the Student Mobilization ministry over to the next generation of leaders in early 2000’s and started serving and training staff and students in other college ministries across the U.S. and world. This allowed him to keep broadening his knowledge of campus ministry and observe the best of the best practices from a myriad of amazing churches and organizations. Then, in 2019, he teamed up with campus ministry leader Paul Worcester to begin a year long process of totally rethinking and revising the original The Fuel and the Flame into a brand new version. This one has much shorter chapters, is written exclusively for students, is even more practical and reproducible, and includes many new jaw-dropping life-changing stories from students across the U.S. and world. We pray God will use this edition to ignite for Christ the lives and ministries of this generation of college students all over the world. Go get the new edition of The Fuel and the Flame.
Table of Contents:
Part 1: The Fuel
1. Lay Your Foundation:
– 11 Students Who Changed the World
2. Develop Your Character:
– Four Qualities Every Christian Laborer Must Possess
– Four Pitfalls Every Christian Laborer Must Guard Against
3. Build Your Convictions
– Seven Building Blocks for Your Life and Ministry
4. Prepare for Impact
– Five Questions That Must be Answered
5. Plot Out Your Strategy
– Six Steps to Get to the Heart of Your Campus
Part 2: The Flame
6. Persist in Dynamic Evangelism
– Four Secrets for Winning Students to Christ
7. Invest Yourself in Establishing Young Believers
– Five Prerequisites to Building Disciples
8. Persevere in Equipping the Faithful to Make Disciples
– Six Strategies for Training Laborers
9. Mobilize Your Campus as a Sending Base by Exporting Laborers
– Seven Principles for Launching Reproducers
10. Always Keep the World in Clear Focus
– Five Applications to Reach the World through Student
1. The Three Kinds of Students on Every Campus
2. Eight Principles for Reaching the Influencers
3. The Dynamics of Starting a Weekly Large Group Meeting
4. Scripture Memory Verses on Discipleship
5. How to Lead a Small Group Bible Discussion
6. Powerful Questions to Make Students Spiritually Hungry
7. The Cure for Spiritual Amnesia
8. Essentials for Ministry: Momentum, Multiplication, Management
9. Six Steps for an Effective House Ministry
10. Five Keys to Raising Your Personal Financial Support Team
11. Helpful Campus Ministry Web Sites
How to use it
- With students on campus – Train your leaders using this book.
- With freshman – a great graduation gift in that it helps students to thrive in college not just survive. Use it as their first-year-training manual.
- As a staff training manual- Use it for training vocational collegiate leader and volunteers. This is campus ministry 101.
- As a development book for your staff team. How many books are out there on how to develop professionally as a campus minister? Ah, none. You want to grow in your profession? Read this.